Our history speaks for itself - we've been practicing since 1949
Some of the Brightest and Best have worked for us; Our Current Team is Continuing the Tradition of Excellence
68 Years of History
Lewis and Preston was founded in 1949 by Paul M. Lewis, now deceased, when he partnered with J.T. Hatcher to form Hatcher & Lewis. The firm has gone through several name changes over the years and has influenced and trained some of Hardin County’s best. Paul Lewis retired in 2015 at the age of 92; at that time Dwight Preston restructured the practice as a PLLC proudly keeping the name Lewis as part of the company name.
The firm has been known as:
- Hatcher & Lewis
- Hatcher, Lewis & Bland
- Lewis & Bland
- Lewis, Bland & Preston
- Lewis, Bland, Preston, Birdwhistell & Howard
- Lewis & Preston
- Lewis, Preston & Easton
- Lewis & Preston
- Lewis & Preston, PLLC
Our Former attoneys and their accomplishments:
- Paul M Lewis: KY State Representative, County Attorney, Board of Governors, Delegate 9th Judicial District
- J.T. Hatcher (deceased): Hardin County Circuit Judge
- Steve Bland: FBI agent, County Attorney, Hardin Circuit Judge, retired
- Dwight Preston: County Attorney, Commonwealth's Attorney
- Barry Birdwhistle: current Master Commissioner of Hardin Circuit Court
- Ken Howard: County Attorney, current Circuit Court Judge
- Danny Darnall: current successful Private Practice
- Kelly Mark Easton: current Hardin Circuit Court Judge
- Shane Young: current Commonwealth's Attorney
- Teresa Young: current Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney
- John Bland: successful Private Practice, retired
- Stuart McCoy: Assistant Attorney General, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney
Our former law clerks and their accomplments
- John David Simcoe: Hardin County District Court Judge
- Jeff Taylor: Judge, Kentucky Court of Appeals
- Teresa Logsdon: Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Beth Ratley: current Domestic Relations Commissioner, (three counties), Master Commissioner, Grayson Co.
The firm has been AV Bar rated since 1980. This year marks 67 years of continued practice in general, civil and criminal law in Hardin County and surrounding counties, including Grayson, Breckinridge, Meade, Larue, Hart and Nelson.
Dwight Preston is a native of Hardin County and has a genuine love of his community. After completing his legal education in San Diego and being admitted to the bar in 1974, Preston returned to Elizabethtown to practice law. Paul Lewis (retired) took him under his wing and gave him hands-on experience in the court room.
Dwight possesses a great work ethic and will not rest till he has finished a case. (And is fierce in the court room when he needs to be).
Mr. Preston served as the Commonwealth's Attorney, Hardin County, from 1982-1992; he served as Hardin County Attorney, from 1978-1982. He is member of Hardin County and Kentucky Bar Associtation.
Published in the San Diego Law Review 1973-1974, his legal writings include, “Zoning—Rural America, a New Lease on Life,” and “No Hablo Ingles: a Written Agreement Plus Consent Equals Contractual Liability of Illiterates?”
AV rated for 12 consecutive years, Dwight’s peers recognize his achievements, scoring him a 5 out of 5 in every catagorey:
- Legal Knowledge
- Analytical Capability
- Legal Experience
University of San Diego School of Law
J.D., magna cum laude, 1974
Chief Justice Honor Court 1973-1974
Phi Delta Phi
San Diego Law Review
Western Kentucky University
Additionally, Mr. Preston is father to three sons and one daughter. He was a licensed racehorse trainer for over 35 years, appreciates a fast horse and enjoys a good cabernet sauvignon. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Adam Cart , Attorney of Counsel, is from Brandenburg, KY and is a former Public Defender.
- Admitted to the bar, 2010
- Kentucky Preparatory education, Eastern Kentucky University (B.S, 2007)
- Legal education, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, North Kentucky University (J.D. cum laude, 2010)
- Northern Kentucky Law Review
- Member: Hardin County and Kentucky Bar Associations.
Adam is married to Sara Belen; they just had their first child, a little boy, Bryan Scott. You can reach him at email@example.com
Mr. Henry Powell, Attorney of Counsel, comes to us from Big Clifty, KY and is a retired Navy Captain, 2011.
- Admitted to the Florida bar, 2015
- Admitted to the Kentucky bar, 2016
- Old Dominion University, B.S., 1978
- University of Louisville, M.B.A., 1983
- Ave Maria School of Law, J.D., 2015
- Member Phi Alpha Delta Fraternity
- Member of the American Bar Association, Kentucky Bar and Florida Bar
Mr. Powell is married to Kaye Love.
You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Support Staff
The firm has a 5-member support team that keeps the office running smoothy. Chances are, they will be the ones you will initially meet.
- Cathy Hammond
- Carol Moll
- Brenda Preston
- Cory Preston
- Molly Witt